A quick and easy embellishment
Tassel are great ornaments for garments, hats, draperies, pillows, purses, even jewelry like earrings, etc...
They are quick to make and don't need much yarn!
- yarn/thread of your choice (1, 2 or 3 colors)
- a pair of scissors
- a hardcover book/cardboard (I used a wooden baby book!)
- a crochet hook.
|What you'll need!|
1. Wrap yarn around the book/cardboard 10-12 times if you use only one color.
If you want a multicolor tassel, combine 2 color yarns, hold the strands together and wrap them at the same time 5- 6 times, like in the photo collage bellow. Knot the ends to make your work easier.
b) I also tried wrapping the yarns separately, one after another for other color effect, like in the collage bellow, but it is much practical to wrap the yarns together, at the same time. (like in the option a)
2. Cut a piece of yarn and with the help of your crochet hook, pull it under the wrapped yarns, then tie a double knot in the center.
3. Turn your book with the back side facing you and cut in the center of the wrapped yarns.
Now separate the tassel from the book and fold the fringe of the tassel in half, around the knot. (Untie the knot/knots made to secure your work in the step 1.)
4. To make the head of the tassel, cut a longer piece of yarn and wrap firmly a few times around the tassel, circa 1,5-2 cm from the top of the folded fringe. Make a double knot.
5. Using the crochet hook, hide the ends of the knot inside the fringe. Trim your tassel with the scissors for a nice, even look.
Here are the tassels i made today: a bi-colored tassel (red& blue) and a red one.
I used the bi-colored tassel to embellish a ladybug bookmark. See my post 5 Free Crochet Bookmarks your kids will love!